Change of fat distrubtion around your body

DepressedAndOut

Hello,

I don't know if this is related to PIED or not, but I'm asking because I don't know.

Basically, since I started hardmode, I noticed that my body is putting on weight more around the hips/arse/legs areas than on my stomach. Before this, I always had fat accumulating on my stomach - but now it seems that my brain has been 'feminized' and thus the change of fat distribution. (For most men the fat accumulates mostly on the torso, for women it's mostly on the lower body.)

I don't think this is related to my diet as I've kept pretty much the same diet over the years (90% or so healthy) and for the last few months as I've been eating at maintenance level and doing strenuous exercise.

Can anyone shed light on this and whether it can be linked to PIED? Or even someone with more medical knowledge can tell me why the change of fat distribution and what it means.

Thank you.

doneatlast

I think the only way it could be connected to a reboot would be related to stress hormones.  My understanding is that high stress causes weight gain in certain areas more than others (the gut, if I remember right).  It is possible that if you've had good eating/exercise habits all along, the only thing keeping a gut on you was elevated cortisol (stress), and the reboot is reducing that.  I eat low carb, three meals a day with no snacking, and most people would look at what I eat and wonder how I can live off of it, but if I am in a high stress mode where I'm not getting any exercise, not much sleep and feeling anxious, I do get a bit of a gut.  The weird thing is that the number on the scale really won't change all that much.  Maybe it is just bloating.

Regarding the weight you're putting on, is it fat or muscle?  I've also heard (though with less reliability) that high stress can mean less muscle tone in a lot of the lower posture muscles, the glutes, the front of the thighs, and so forth.  I remember this because it was claimed in the article I read that things like hip or knee pain can be related to high stress as those muscles atrophy with elevated cortisol.  This was on one of those celebrity doctor websites and it seemed plausible, but it is something I would feel a need to verify.

Not sure the masculine/feminine thing is the right mindset.  Some women do get guts on them, though I see it more in correlation with stress, alcohol abuse, or something else.  Bloating around their menstrual cycle happens, too.

Have you noticed reduced levels of anxiety/stress since starting hard mode?  I am not sure if the PMO process itself does anything to cortisol levels, but having an addiction under control could certainly do it on its own.

DepressedAndOut

DoneAtLast said:
I think the only way it could be connected to a reboot would be related to stress hormones.  My understanding is that high stress causes weight gain in certain areas more than others (the gut, if I remember right).  It is possible that if you've had good eating/exercise habits all along, the only thing keeping a gut on you was elevated cortisol (stress), and the reboot is reducing that.  I eat low carb, three meals a day with no snacking, and most people would look at what I eat and wonder how I can live off of it, but if I am in a high stress mode where I'm not getting any exercise, not much sleep and feeling anxious, I do get a bit of a gut.  The weird thing is that the number on the scale really won't change all that much.  Maybe it is just bloating.

Regarding the weight you're putting on, is it fat or muscle?  I've also heard (though with less reliability) that high stress can mean less muscle tone in a lot of the lower posture muscles, the glutes, the front of the thighs, and so forth.  I remember this because it was claimed in the article I read that things like hip or knee pain can be related to high stress as those muscles atrophy with elevated cortisol.  This was on one of those celebrity doctor websites and it seemed plausible, but it is something I would feel a need to verify.

Not sure the masculine/feminine thing is the right mindset.  Some women do get guts on them, though I see it more in correlation with stress, alcohol abuse, or something else.  Bloating around their menstrual cycle happens, too.

Have you noticed reduced levels of anxiety/stress since starting hard mode?  I am not sure if the PMO process itself does anything to cortisol levels, but having an addiction under control could certainly do it on its own.

Hello,

The weight I put  on is fat. I also have low muscle tone all over the body, which is expected since I've been depressed/stressed for so long now. But the confusing thing is that for nearly every blood test I do, my Testosterone levels come back as normal.

Since I started hardmode I've been generally fine but with the odd frustrating moments craving anything sexual. (As, for the last year or so, I've reduced every artificial sexual stimuli to an absolute minimum and this at times is just frustrating me. )

doneatlast

Interesting.

Yeah, I'd say the lack of variance in testosterone vetoes your masculinity/femininity theory.  If it was me, I'd do some research on the stress stuff.  I've also heard stories of people who struggle with weight loss despite doing everything right, and find they get it all under control after some psychological work... counseling and so forth.  I'm sure there are some specific hormones at play here, but I doubt it is sex hormones.  The stress hormones and other things will be all over the map during a reboot, so it makes sense that your body is showing outwardly some of what is going on in your head.

DepressedAndOut

DoneAtLast said:
Interesting.

Yeah, I'd say the lack of variance in testosterone vetoes your masculinity/femininity theory.
  If it was me, I'd do some research on the stress stuff.  I've also heard stories of people who struggle with weight loss despite doing everything right, and find they get it all under control after some psychological work... counseling and so forth.  I'm sure there are some specific hormones at play here, but I doubt it is sex hormones.  The stress hormones and other things will be all over the map during a reboot, so it makes sense that your body is showing outwardly some of what is going on in your head.

the thing is, there maybe a problem with the enzyme converting the testosterone to what it should be - but instead it converts itself to something else, as a result of the stress, depression, etc.

Also, I would know where to begin in regards to psychological work about this. Even if I do my own research about it, there is no way of knowing what's affecting me without access to materialistic and intellectual resources. (blood tests, scans, correct interpretations of the tests, etc)

doneatlast

Well, distribution around your body instead of your gut is a good thing, right?  It means it is subcuteneous fat which is not all that bad... fat in your gut is typically visceral fat, the harder stuff and that is the kind that is very problematic for your health.  It is what alcohol and high amounts of fructose usually generate, and it is also what stress brings on.

My guess is that if there is a problem, it is because rebooting makes everything go haywire, hence all the symptoms.  You've just happened to find a particularly interesting one.  The body is an amazing self healing machine much of the time, and with a good reboot, things should align.  Hormones will spike or dive as your body has no idea what to do when it doesn't get the stimulation it is used to.  The same thing happens when you change eating habits... if you drank soda and ate candy bars all day, your body will go haywire when you go off of it, you'll feel downright sick, but the normalization on the other side of it is the only way to get out.  Your insulin and glycogen levels will be completely off, they will spike, they will dive, you'll feel dizzy, moody, and almost dead.  But, once your body gets used to working properly, you'll feel more stable than ever.  It is the same with a reboot. 

If, on the other end of a reboot, you feel things aren't quite right, that would be a good time to see a doctor.  Doing anything now could be bad, because it could mean prescribing something for a very temporary condition, and create yet another hormonal roller coaster for you.