Recommend me a book!

AlexthenotsoGreat

Hey nofappers!

Anyone have any good book recommendations? I'm looking for ones within the area of self-development, primarily aimed at a male audience.

Gabe Deem

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
The Slight Edge. Easy read. Packed with golden advice. Also just read Good to Great. Although it is written for business peeps, the advice and principles are certainly applicable to self-development. 

doneatlast

I haven't read it yet, but Jordan Peterson's book 12 Rules For Life gets great reviews, and I will likely buy a copy once I see it for sale at my local used book store.  I suspect I've already consumed all of its content by way of related YouTube videos, but it will still be interesting to have a look.

Less within your criteria but might be of interest is Incognito by David Eagleman.  Sort of a brain science book.  Sort of.

Also, something I throw out there sometimes one these boards is the documentary "Won't You Be My Neighbor?"... yeah, not a book, but I think it is a great resource for thinking about male growth, because it goes against pretty much everything we're being told these days.

Most books I can think of right now are religious specific, or not male specific I'm afraid.  I will try to think if any are accessible to a larger audience or not.

Pete McVries

Not a self help book but a novel which I love. Narcissus and Goldmund by Hermann Hesse. Go grab and read it, you won't regret it.

AlexthenotsoGreat

Pete McVries said:
Not a self help book but a novel which I love. Narcissus and Goldmund by Hermann Hesse. Go grab and read it, you won't regret it.

You might enjoy Proust and the Squid, about the science of reading. Very pertinent to today in my opinion. I also ordered Reader, Come Home by the same author, which is perhaps even more up to date.

J

J01

Alex, thanks for the recommendation of Reader, Come Home.  I put it on hold at the library and have been thinking a lot recently about iphones and digital stuff and the impact on attention spans, prayer, and devotional reading.  I see a lot of devices in the churches now-it is going to be interesting to see how it all shakes out. 

AlexthenotsoGreat

jixu said:
Alex, thanks for the recommendation of Reader, Come Home.  I put it on hold at the library and have been thinking a lot recently about iphones and digital stuff and the impact on attention spans, prayer, and devotional reading.  I see a lot of devices in the churches now-it is going to be interesting to see how it all shakes out.

Glad to be of help. If you want a very holistic read on digital media you should read The Shallows by Nicholas Carr. I'm not exaggerating when I say that that book changed my life. It was nominated for a Pulitzer, so you know the quality is good.

J

J01

The Carr book you referenced looks like it might be an "update" to the profoundly insightful (and disturbing) work by Neil Postman, "Amusing Ourselves to Death."  Good stuff! 

doneatlast

AlexthenotsoGreat said:
Most books I can think of right now are religious specific, or not male specific I'm afraid.  I will try to think if any are accessible to a larger audience or not.
Religious specific is fine, I'm religious.

The book that first came to mind is Love and Responsibility by Karol Wjotyla (aka St. Pope John Paul II), though it may not be quite what you're after.  It is more a piece of philosophy about love and sex and an incredible piece for what it is, though maybe not the specific male edification piece you're hoping for. 

H

HumbleRich

Start Where You Are by Pema Chodron discusses Buddhist enlightenment as a means to recovery from any mental ailment.  I have found it very profound, especially in understanding why I act out.

AlexthenotsoGreat

DoneAtLast said:
AlexthenotsoGreat said:
Religious specific is fine, I'm religious.

The book that first came to mind is Love and Responsibility by Karol Wjotyla (aka St. Pope John Paul II), though it may not be quite what you're after.  It is more a piece of philosophy about love and sex and an incredible piece for what it is, though maybe not the specific male edification piece you're hoping for.
Thanks, I love John Paul but haven't read this one. Phew, the list is growing.

AlexthenotsoGreat

Jeff Olson: The Slight Edge: Turning Simple Disciplines into Massive Success and Happiness

Thanks Gabe. Good luck with your continued work in this area. I hope to work in some capacity with drug-recovery in all its forms in the future and I've found your perspectives very helpful.