Love and Sex - Thomas Sowell

F

Finw?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jd1lX8bbgp8

Thought this was interesting

H

HumbleRich

I?m not that impressed by Sowell anymore.  For one thing, he is an economist and has no authority on this subject.  What is it with the blatant fallacy of authority these days?  Also, he is mostly a talking head for how great capitalism is and attacks any other system.  Capitalism is slowly destroying our country.  I don?t have much respect for the man, myself.  Maybe a tiny amount for being good at math.

Rich

F

Finw?

I liked what he said. When it comes to topics like these no one is an 'authority' anyways. He just makes a good argument.

Whether you like him or not you have to respect his academic prowess. He went to Harvard as a young black high-school dropout in the 1950s, and graduated within the top 10%.

M

Mroctupus

Rollo May in the book The courage to create
?Intimacy requires courage because risk is inescapable. We cannot know at the outset how the relationship will affect us. Like a chemical mixture, if one of us is changed, both of us will be. Will we grow in self actualization, or will it destroy us? The one thing we can be certain of is that if we let ourselves fully into the relationship for good or evil, we will not come out unaffected.

A common practice in our day is to avoid working up the courage required for authentic intimacy by shifting the issue to the body, making it a matter of simple physical courage. It is easier in our society to be naked physically than to be naked psychologically or spiritually ? easier to share our body than to share our fantasies, hopes, fears, and aspirations, which are felt to be more personal and the sharing of which is experienced as making us more vulnerable. For curious reasons we are shy about sharing the things that matter most. Hence people short-circuit the more ?dangerous? building of a relationship by leaping into bed. After all, the body is an object and can be treated mechanically.?

dlansky

I have been a fan of Thomas Sowell for a long time. As a parent, I have certainly seen the effects of elites making policy decisions that impact families and paying no price when their ideas turn out to do more harm than good.