Dynamics of No-PMO streaks in a period of 28 days (9.5k people sample size)

THIS IS THE CHART : https://i.imgur.com/Nt7ma2B.jpg

This is a follow-up of a chart I made a while ago https://preview.redd.it/ce6j48jfzj921.jpg?width=960&crop=smart&auto=webp&s=1617ad8f95de920491115f474b7b3218f205f2d6

The initial topic contained the data for a single day. That is, i went in and gathered the data on how many people were in each streak timeframe at a particular point in time (January 10th). Since it was a single day observation, there was a significant possibility that the data was not overall representative of a trend, even if the sample size is very large.

So I gathered the data over a period of 28 days and what you see in the chart are all the entries overlapped, which demonstrates an obvious trend.

I have the data for more than 90 days - it's up to 700 days, but i narrowed the chart to 90 days because it would've made the graph unreadable. You are more than welcome to play around with the data and come up with other statistics and visualizations. Filebin link that will expire in one month from now https://filebin.net/22oq0vyu3p94btb3

Limitations of the results:

1. the data is gathered from a very popular app but it's limited by how the app creator decided the progression cutoff points (3 days, 5 days, 7 days, 10 days etc). Obviously it would've been much better if we had data on every single day, not on irregular intervals but it's the best we have so far and the sample is huge.

2. the app creator told me that inactive users are removed after 7 days. Inactive means they haven't logged in the app for over 7 days.

3. the fact that inactive users are removed has upsides and downsides, it doesn't inflate success rates but at the cost of inflating failure.

4. i missed 4 days and i filled in the numbers by averaging the former and prior numbers.

doneatlast

That last link seems to be broken...?  I'll wait to see that before commenting, because it seems like that is where the most useful information would be.

imsorrynotsorry

Even though the chart seems to tell a story, i would like to hear your and DoneAtLast's interpretation of the data.
Looking forward.

doneatlast

I just noticed that this was a very old thread, but I am sure that it was up at the top when I first replied to it.... no idea what is going on!  Maybe there was a bot reply in between that got deleted and bumped it?  I don't remember.

In any case, that last chart might be lost.  What I see in the data presented is that most rebooters get stuck in the early phases of a few days, and those are the "white knuckle" stages.  That tells me that the tips, tricks and motivational tactics in circulation are great for the short term, but rely too heavily on will power alone and emotional strength, and that once that reserve of strength is tapped, they collapse.  It makes sense that the people with very long streaks wouldn't appear in the chart because they generally don't frequent the boards all that much, but a lack of people from the one week-one month range is telling.  Those people would presumably still be visiting the boards from time to time.  To me, it confirms an ongoing hypothesis/view about recovery.  The little things like dealing with simple triggers, setting up filters, new habits like exercise or meditation, focusing on goals and "super powers", are only good while our energy and focus are fully charged.  Eventually the really tough stuff hits, the arcade game "final boss" that is as strong as all the smaller enemies put together, and just eats all of our quarters.  The "final boss" is often dealing with fetishes, sex/relationship anxieties and misapplications, emotional issues, trauma, and so on.  Those are the things that are much harder to deal with in any scenario, and especially hard to deal with in the context of online message boards and short online essays.